Monday, November 30, 2015

Assistive Technology

This past week's assignment was on assistive technology (AT). Students with disabilities have legislative safeguards that protect their right to participate in a general curriculum and their right to obtain services that can help them achieve to the best of their abilities. Assistive technology devices are defined as any item, equipment, or system that can be used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities. Given appropriate hardware specifics, almost all students with disabilities can access technology. For this assignment, we were to change computer settings in Windows to show various assistive technologies that can help with students with disabilities. To help show these changes, we were to create a PowerPoint. In my PowerPoint, slides 2 and 3 show how a website looks in a normal setting vs. a change in contrast. The change with contrast can help a student with low vision. In slide 4, the magnifier is shown that can also help assist a student with low vision. Slide 5 shows Toggle Keys, which can help a student that has a physical disability. Slide 6 shows visual options that can make the screen flash when the computer sounds an alert; this can help a student with a mild hearing impairment. In slide 7, the onscreen keyboard is shown; which can help a student with a physical impairment and as a result uses a pointer to access the computer. In slides 7 and 8, show pictures, along with the word showing what it is and sound is included as well. This is accessible to both sighted and visual, visually impaired, and hearing impaired students. Slide 9 shows websites where students can find free photo sites and free sound file sites. The final slide shows mouse options that can be useful for students with certain needs.

This assignment showed me how I can help a student with a disability. I knew of some of the features, but there were some that I didn't know of. I am already using what I learned...I changed the contrast on my dad's computer so that he can see the screen. As a teacher, I will be able to know how to make changes to the computer to adjust to any disability. I feel confident in that. I enjoyed this assignment and the knowledge I gained from it. Assistive technology ties in with the NETS-T with standard 4 by addressing diverse needs of all students by using learner-centered strategies and by providing equitable access to appropriate tools and resources.

Click here to view my PowerPoint.



No comments:

Post a Comment